Caledonian Canal

Although Nessy didn't pop up to say hi, we have crossed Loch Ness, and are now way over half way around Britain!!


Yesterday my mum and brother came up, and have been (crewing..?) for Dad on Amaryllis. I'm not sure how much help they have actually been to him, and so far, since they've arrived its been non-stop terrential rain!! 


After completing my first staircase yesterday, the heavens opened, and rain hasn'pt stopped (except for an hour whilst I got my spinaker up!), untill now, when we're left with soggy boats, and light showers!


When it did pause, we were at the start of Loch Ness, so I made use of the light winds by trying out my new (dad's old) spinnaker. Its not something I've ever used before on Falanda - and I've only ever helped get up on Ros Ailither (parents old boat) a couple of times. Although it probably wasn't set properly today (and I didnt have another halyard above the spreaders), it was fun to try out, and got us moving at 5.5 kts! 


That was, untill the wind picked up and I was left wondering how on earth to get the thing down. On Ros Ailither we had a tube that you could pull down over the sail whilst it was in mid-air, and I hadn't really ever been taught how to use a spinnaker.


In the end I just set everything flapping, and slowly lowered it, hoping not to get flicked in over the side! Next, I'm going to get another pully futher up the mast, so I can fly it highter - and therefore get optimum usage, if thats the right words to use...?


Its weird to have other people on Dads boat, and even weirder to see Amaryllis tidy, but I suppose its nice to see them, even if it means we actually have to talk whilst sailing. I'm not sure how far we'll get tomorrow, but so far the Caledonian Canal has been great fun!


We have also managed to smash my fundraising target, and are almost at 7 grand! Thank you so much for donating to Sea Shepherd UK, they are such an amazing charity, and really do work hard to clean, and protect our oceans. 


After meeting a few volounteers, I've heard some more about what they are doing, and where they have been, whilst volounteering for the charity. It's nice to hear that this money may be going towards their 'Operation bloody Fjords' - trying to stop the dolphin hunts in the faroe Islands. You have probably heard about the annual dolphin hunts carried out over there, and Sea Shepherds have been one of the main groups trying to publicise, and put a stop to the killing of the pilot whales, and dolphins.


 You can read more about what they're doing on their website:  seashepherd.org.uk/campaigns/operation-bloody-fjords/


Link to my JustGiving page is: 

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/falanda-roundbritain


Quality waterproof sailing footwear at: Chatham Footwear



Second lock in the first staircase


Trying to control the spinnaker


Putting up the spinnaker


View from Amaryllis


Entering the first sea lock


Getting technical advice like 'Now the boat will probably move when the gates open' from Dad


Scenery at Loch Ness








Boots that are actually waterproof


Another boat we have been near since the first staircase



Amaryllis following behind, closer than ever


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aborted Azores trip in Karuna

Across the Channel for Paimpol festival

The Lovely Falanda - Up for Sale