Friday - Weymouth to Yarmouth, Isle of White


 

Not much wind this morning so had to motor sail untill it picked up in the afternoon. It was a bit of a grey, foggy day, and we passed the Militery Firing Range without being shot at or bombed!


We had the tide with us at St Albans head, wizzing us staight round, and the tide stayed with us untill we arrived at Yarnmouth. No problems passing the Needles, although poor visibility untill the Lighthouse. 


I slowed down before we got to the Needles, so Dad on Amaryllis could catch up and we could take some photos of the boats sailing. Hence why he was so close.


The bad weather looks like its coming in on Monday night, so as long as it does't change, we're hoping to get to Eastbourne to shelter for a day or so.


Its quite stressful trying to predict the weather when each forecast is completely different, and I need to let each Marina know exactly what time we will be arriving, a couple of days in advance.

Sailing past the Needles

Approaching lighthouse at the Needles


Leaving Weymouth

Moored up in Yarmouth


 So far, the Marinas have been great, and we have had free mooring each night, which is fantastic!


We are now safely moored up in Yarmouth Harbour , so aiming to be in East Cowes Marina tomorrow, after hopefully avoiding most of the boats sailing in the Round Island Race.

Comments

  1. Hello Katie. I have just received an email from your Grandma informing us of your trip. I am your .... I think.. second cousin from Australia. First cousin to your mum and dad.... Nicola McLaws. I live in Albury, NSW Australia. I will follow your journey blog and I take my hat off to you for this brave endeavour of yours. You are obviously very passionate about the sea and boating from your account of finding and refurbishing your own little vessel. I think it's lovely that you share this passion with your dad too and that he is supporting you in your journey. In fact, I'm glad that you have him with you, albeit in a separate vessel to the rear, because us bloggers and relos will know that you are safe. I wish you a resounding success but a safe one although the saying goes "a calm sea never made a good sailor" scary as that is. I will keep up with you... so keep those photos coming. Your Aussie Cousin..... Nicola. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicola, from your cousin Hazel. Hope all is well on your side of the world!

      Delete
  2. Wow....well done Katie, a whole lot of work I’m sure leading up to this, that has finally paid off for you. Now the fun begins.
    So great to see you following your dreams. I hope it all goes well for you, you achieve your goals and the weather plays ball as well, always an unknown quantity and it looks like an uphill battle with the prevailing wind down the west coast.... I guess there’s going to be a bus load of tacking till the wind turns.
    Keep sending pics and blogs to keep us up to date of your trip, I’ll be following every day.

    Safe travels and tell you Old Man I said hi ha ha, I’ve been messaging your mum today, she is very worried and excited at the same time....as is your whole family.

    Talk soon and have fun.

    Your other Aussie Cousin
    Nathan Peck. Xxx000

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Aborted Azores trip in Karuna

Across the Channel for Paimpol festival

The Lovely Falanda - Up for Sale