To Dover

I was very nervous about going into Dover, as it's a big, comercial port, with 2 enterances either side of the central Brake water. As we arrived at the Western enterance, I can say that my heart was literally beating a hole in my chest.


 The sea had started to chop up, as the water was funneled into the harbour, so getting the main sail down proved to be slightly more difficult. 


Your essentaily trying to work on a moving platform. The main sheet ropes had somehow twisted as I had rushed to sheet it in earlier, so as well as the boat rolling, the boom and sail were also flogging. Therefor, my whole weight was resting on the boom, as it swung back and forth across the boat. Even in calm weather this can be a tricky job, as you have to turn the boat round into the wind and the sea.


Amaryllis was still around 1 mile behind me, and I called up Port Controll who kindly guided me in, up to the Marina enterance. Despite only coming into the berth at Dover Marina properly on second attempt, both boats are now safely tied up for the night! 


Tomorrow we have the short hop to Ramsgate, before crossing the Thames.


Lights at the western entrance, after passing through.

Western entrance to Dover



Comments

  1. Sounds mighty tricky, Katie. But you did it!! The relief must've been something else. Well done! Your dad must've had some anxious moments as rear gunner.... Another day down and another leg conquered. Regards, Nicola.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Aborted Azores trip in Karuna

Across the Channel for Paimpol festival

The Lovely Falanda - Up for Sale