Channel crossing (3 Sept)

 After a failed attempt to cross the channel on Thursday with mum, I spent the whole of Friday varnishing and cleaning aboard Falanda. On Saturday we  took both boats down the river to Exmouth, where stayed for a few nights for some quiet.

On Sunday I took a friend for a sail, when we got to try out my spinnaker again, and swim off of Falanda, whilst sailing! The wind soon picked up however, so we got a nice sail in (accompanied by dolphins!), before I found out the stitching on the Jib was starting to go.


On Monday morning mum showed me how to repair the stitching on the jib, before we headed back out to sea, heading for France! Because of Covid restrictions, we knew we couldn't actually land in France, so sailed to a point 12 miles off the coast, before turning around and sailing back again! There was plenty of wind, so we had a cracking sail the entire way, with 2 reefs in the main to reassure mum that the mast wouldn't fall down.


Reaching the french border at 2am, we celebrated the first channel crossing on Falanda with a cup of tea, and getting soaked by a wave. We had no problems crossing the shipping lanes (twice!), although it was quite busy at some points. In total the trip was 29 hours, and with my new crew, I even got an hour or so sleep! 


We arrived back on Tuesday at 5pm, and I went off to do my first proper babysitting at 5.30! Wednesday I spent a few hours working on 'Tess of Teign', before me and dad set off for Wales, by road! 


On thursday, yesterday, I got to spend the entire day sailing on a mini 6.50 in the Irish sea, which was probably the coolest thing I have ever done! A massive thank you to BOOM Sail, Power and Race Training for taking me out on your amazing boat! I will post a video on my story shortly.


Activities today include varnishing, and catching up on schoolwork!



Falanda and Amatyllis moored alongside at Exmouth





Off the stern of the mini Transat at Conwy










Clear explanation of the shipping lanes


At the helm on Falanda


Two reefs in the main


Coming into Exmouth with Eva


Swimming at sea


Inside Falanda



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aborted Azores trip in Karuna

Across the Channel for Paimpol festival

Friday - Weymouth to Yarmouth, Isle of White