YJA Award Ceremony

 I set off, this June, following my dream of singlehandedly sailing around Britain, not expecting anything to come of it. I had an amazing, but challenging time, and returned back to Topsham as the youngest person to do so.


To be nominated for two YJA awards before even returning back to school, was a massive surprise, and I was honestly taken aback. On Friday, I attended the awards ceremony at the Grand Cafe, in Southampton, and was completely honoured just to be there, amongst some of the most successful sailors on the planet.


I'm not sure you can imagine my amazement when I was announced winner of both the YJA Stoneways Marine Young Jounalist of the year, and YJA Stoneways Marine Young Sailor of the Year awards. 


Being presented with the awards was amazing, (although slightly embarassing, as I hadn't a clue what to say, and the incredible gold medalist, Shirley Robertson soon announced that I found interviews boring!!). As well as being shocked that I had actually won them, I felt pretty awful about 'stealing' the awards from my fellow nominees, who I'd had a chance to meet that evening. 


Pip Hare Ocean Racing, someone who I am completely in awe of, won the YJA Stoneways Sailor of the Year, and I think they couldn't have chosen a more deserving person. She is utterly amazing!


A massive thank you to the Yachting Journalists' Association!


So, on Saterday, me and mum got to walk around the Southampton Boat Show, where I met a load of people, and heard about some great projects. We visited the boatfolk stand, where I got a chance to thank them for their support during my round Britain trip, and listen to a fantastic speach by Timothy Long Sailing


I will be doing my own talk next saturday, at the boatshow, at 1.30pm, where I will be describing my trip this year, and answering everyones no. 1 question - "whats next!?".


I am nervous, but extremely excited to be announcing my next project, so feel free to drop by the stage next saterday!


Receiving the young marine journalist of the year award, amazed to be standing among 2 of the most amazing sailors in the world
Photo: YJA



Getting photos with some of the Team GB athletes!
Photo: YJA

Alongside some of the other nominees: Timothy Long, Jessica Powell, Millie Irish
Photo: RJA

Views on the pontoon at the Boat Show


Timothy Long's speach yesterday, at the Boatfolk stand.


Seated by Timothy Long.
Sailors tan - after taking my salopettes off a maximum of 7 times on my entire round britain trip, you can imagine the amount of sunbathing oppotunities I had available, whilst at sea.

Two of the three wooden boats we saw at the boatshow!

An amazing photo, by the YJA - the dining room.


Photo: YJA


Photo: YJA
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aborted Azores trip in Karuna

Across the Channel for Paimpol festival

Friday - Weymouth to Yarmouth, Isle of White