NEC Boatlife Boatshow

 What an exciting week! 


This week me and Falanda have visited the NEC in Birmingham for the very first BoatLife boatshow. It was strange getting Falanda lifted out and trailered up there, as usually February is a strange limbo time for boaters in England, when very few people sail, and there aren’t any major events.


On the first day, the boatshow was opened by Pip Hare Ocean Racing, who was then part of a live -interview /chat room type thing. It was an amazing story that she told throughout the interview and it was super interesting to watch. After this I got to talk to lots of big brands about potential sponsorship, which was great as I had the opportunity to get across my ideas face to face which otherwise probably wouldn’t have happened. I also got to meet the Status Code 14 rowing team, who are planning to row across the Atlantic later this year. 


We had to leave later in the afternoon as Murdoch McGregor was driving all the way down to Topsham (from Alloa, Scotland!) to give a talk at Exe Sailing Club. The speech was really good, and I think everyone -including me - was surprised at what he has achieved in life, so far! 


On Friday (day 2 of boatshow) my school was shut due to Storm Eunice which was a massive bonus as it gave me a chance to catch up on some emails. 


Leaving at 7am the next day, I arrived at the boatshow 9 minutes before my scheduled interview thing on the main stage. Due to the wind and rain we encountered on the way to the NEC, I also arrived dripping wet, which I hope just added to the sense of wind, and action I was trying to convey during the talk! Despite the rushed arrival, I feel that the live interview thing went well, and I’m fairly sure I didn’t say anything I shouldn’t have. 


Unfortunately I didn’t make it to the final day of the boatshow, but me and Falanda enjoyed our time at the NEC, looking at some of the weird and wonderful inland boats. 


Another unfortunately is needed in this sentence, as during the delivery trip up to Birmingham, part of Falandas toe-rail was damaged (on each side), meaning that I arrived on the opening day of the boatshow to see that Falanda wasn’t looking quite as perfect as when I had last seen her. I’m pretty sure, however, that the lorry company couldn’t have done anything to prevent this from happening, as she had to be strapped down for the transportation, and is otherwise perfect. They are also going to pay for the cost of repairs! 


The toe-rail can easily be fixed - we will have to rip off the back end of the rail on both sides, before raplacing this with new wood, and then it’s just completely redoing the varnish on the entire toe-rail. The varnish never is the fun part of owning a wooden boat, but 7 coats in February is going to be slightly challenging, especially on a rolling boat in the middle of the river! 


Anyway, Falanda was then brought safely back to Topsham, where she was then craned back into the water by Trout's Boatyard. Due to slight technical difficulties (on my part), the mast couldn’t be mounted, so Falanda is now sitting on her mooring, looking slightly empty without her mast and sails. Luckily the paintwork looks nice though!


Falanda at her stand at the boatshow. Notice how the legs are still on, hanging 2' off the ground as I didn't have a chance to paint underneath them before the show!


Meeting Pip Hare after her talk, this time not after any bubbly!


Falanda on the lorry.


Next to Murdoch McGregor at the boatshow


Murdoch's talk at Exmouth.


During my live interview thing at the boatshow (this is during the 'flow')!







Exeter Port Authority's sign, who kindly helped out with storing Falanda on Topsham Quay before the boatshow.



Falanda's beautiful sign - after a couple of coats of varnish from Topsham Wood Carver


Port side toe-rail


Starboard side toe-rail


Falanda being lifted back in by the crane - looking like a little toy boat.
 

Mastless Falanda. Spot the missing patch of paint!

Status Code 14


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aborted Azores trip in Karuna

Across the Channel for Paimpol festival

Friday - Weymouth to Yarmouth, Isle of White