My key to happiness

 Me and falanda had a great blast out to sea today, we left Brixham, heading out into the channel until around 4pm when we had to turn around due to time restrictions - set by my parents! We didn’t quite make it to France today, but we will be having another go asap! 


This isn’t the best video, however I think it partially shows the way in which Falanda glides over the waves almost effortlessly, instead of just bobbing around up and down in them. She glides over the water, occasionaly slicing through the chop, and so I cannot think of a better place to be than miles out on the beautiful Falanda.


Shortly after this video was taken the wind picked up so u reefed down and then Falanda took off, and we were properly flying! I genuinely don’t think I have ever been happier than in that moment, I had the wind, rain, and spray in my face, and with falanda content as well, I had found true happiness- right in the middle of the English Channel! 


It was just me, falanda and the sea, nothing else around and it was perfect. Falanda was handling so well that it was like, as I described to dad, “steering a nice powerboat” (if a nice powerboat even exists!)  and it felt as if I was feeling Falanda in her youth again. 


We then had a long sail back in winds that couldn’t make their minds up, but we kept up about 5kts all the way until Torbay when we had to resort to slow, but overpowered tacking. We arrived back in at Brixham in the dark for the second night running, cold, but still smiling! (And yes, falanda was smiling).


The plan is to return to the exe tomorrow, on the evening tide so we can have a look at replacing the back of the toe rails which were damaged in febuary. The damage isn’t hurting her at all,(although I have likened it to Falanda having an arm missing!) as on falanda the toerails are more for display, and for me to show off my varnish, we we will still be able to sail in the meantime.  


( I believe it would be more like Falanda having 2 toes missing, or two toenails even, although I cannot be sure! )


So there, at 15 I have found the key to true happiness - just don’t step foot ashore!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aborted Azores trip in Karuna

Across the Channel for Paimpol festival

Friday - Weymouth to Yarmouth, Isle of White