Repaint with a mermaid

 Falanda is back in the water after a quick haul out for the annual repaint and hull checks. We've had the perfect week for it, allowing me to work on the boat almost every day after my exams.


After sanding down the hull, a few seams were recaulked and on went some black primer, giving falanda the appearance of an exceptionally sleek navy vessel. 


Although it was alright for the day, I much prefer her usual turquoise colour so back on that went, although very slightly darker this year. After two coats of gloss, on went the antifouling primer followed by new black antifoul. I then chalked on the outline of my mermaid, and spent the next couple of days painting it on. This is something I have been wanting to do for a while and I am very pleased that me and falanda will now have company at the bows of the boat.


I sanded and repainted the bilges which are now almost shining, and did an endless amount of varnishing inside and out. I painted various floor boards and repainted the coach roof with new, proper deck paint that wasn't 20 years old and was surprised to find out that deck paint doesn't have to be impossibly thick and horrible to apply. 


Falanda was relaunched yesterday, looking lovely as ever and I am now preparing her for a trip to Brixham this weekend!


Many thanks to Retreat Boatyard  for craning her in and out, and looking after her!


End of second day on the mermaid


Working on the hands







Falanda being relaunched with her mermaid


Start of the second day working on the mermaid - I used gloss and the process was tedious!




Sunset from the river



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aborted Azores trip in Karuna

Across the Channel for Paimpol festival

Friday - Weymouth to Yarmouth, Isle of White